Saturday, August 11, 2007

But everything is fine!

Fine is a word that my husband hates to hear from me. He asks me, "Are you okay". I'm fine. "Is there something bothering you?" Nope, I'm fine. "I'm going to go to a class this weekend" I answer fine. See everything is fine with me!

However, last Saturday everything was not fine.

Simon decided around 9:00 a.m. that he was going to go on a bike ride. That was fine with me (see there's that word again!) But really it was fine. Sarah and I had plans to go out for a few hours. We were going to the Mall and the Scrapbook Store to do some shopping. Simon headed out for his bike ride and I headed into my bedroom to change clothes. Everything was fine. I got dressed, did my hair and makeup, and took my time doing it. I was going to have a WONDERFUL day and I was really looking forward to it! I was even going out scrapbooking that night, so I have a very special day planned!

As Sarah and I were leaving the house I began to wonder where in the world Simon was. It was after ten and he is usually only gone from the house on his ride for about 30-40 minutes. I know the trail that he takes (sometimes I go with him). And I knew he should have been back before we left. We pulled the car out of the garage and I said to Sarah that I was wondering where her dad was. She too was concerned. So, instead of turning right to go to the Scrapbook Store and the Mall we decided to turn left to see if we could find Simon.

We didn't have to go very far. As we were driving just around the corner from our house I found Simon. He was sitting on a bench on this strip of grass, his bike was parked in front of him. He looked as though he was just sitting there thinking about something. I drove up, pulled over and put my window down. And I said to him, "Hi hon, are you okay?" And the answer was, "I've taken a fall and I think I hurt myself". I asked if he wanted a ride home, and he said yes. But we still had the bike. I didn't know what to do about the bike because with three of us it wasn't going to fit in the car. Sarah "volunteered" to walk the bike back home. (that is SO not her usual thing!". I had to figure out how to get Simon into the car because he couldn't walk on his leg. I asked him if he thought he broke his leg, and he said no. But still he couldn't walk on the right leg. I had to figure out how to get him in the car and finally I decided that I was going to drive my car up to him! So I get in the car, go up over the curbs and drive right up to his bench. I get him on the car, mind you he can't walk on his leg, and he is leaning on me all sweaty (YUCK!!! But you know, if I let him do this I must love him!). I got him in the car and then returned to the driver seat. I WAS going to back out the way I got up there, but then I decided that I was just going to do a circle and get down that way.

SO, we get Simon home. He can't walk on his leg. He doesn't want to go to the hospital because he wants to lay down on the couch. I put towels on the couch because he is all yucky from biking. And he lays there for about two hours. Finally I asked him how he was feeling and he said he was ready for a shower. So again I had to help him to the shower and into the shower too! When he was finished I said, "So are you ready to go to the hospital now?" And finally he said yes.

We got to the hospital around 3:00 p.m. Finally saw someone at around 5:00 p.m. He had xrays done and the doctore confirmed what I thought. His hip was broken. He was admitted to the hospital at 6:00 p.m. and was in his hospital room at 7:00 p.m. The doctor came to visit at around 7:30 and that is when we were told that Simon would be having surgery the following morning at 8:00 a.m. Simon was fine with everything. Until the doctor told him this...."No eating or drinking anything after midnight". Simon always has his snacks at night, and tonight, well tonight he couldn't do it. Sarah and I stayed at the hospital unitl about 11:30. Simon told us it was time to go home. And well, he was right...mainly because I had to walk the neighbors dog that I was watching.

Sarah and I returned home and took care of the dog, set the alarm clock for 4:00 a.m. and went to bed. It was a really fast night, and the alarm went off before you knew it! But I wanted to be at the hospital when he was taken to surgery.

Sarah and I arrived at the hospital at 7:00 and Simon was wide awake! The nurse came to get him at 7:30 a.m. and she was moving the hospital bed all by herself, so I asked her if she needed some help. So she was at the bottom of the bed, and I was at the top of the bed. The nurses at the nursing station laughed because I was pushing Simon to the operating room. He went into surgery at 8:00 a.m. and was out of surgery, into recovery, and back in his room by 12:00 p.m.

All in all everything is really going fine here. Simon came home from the hospital on Monday. But, he can't do anything. He can't bend, can't lift, can't carry anything. So, I do it all. Which really is fine!

The only thing that wasn't fine is that Sarah and I were supposed to go on Vacation on Tuesday. And well, we had to cancel. SO that wasn't fine (was it mom). But, we will be going on vacation at some point. I didn't have any choice really. I mean I couldn't just leave him at home knowing that he couldn't do anything, and well I don't think the neighbor's would come over and watch him like I watch thier pets! (lol)

But everything really is fine. We are just a little tired....that's all.

But everything is fine.

Have a great day!


1 comment:

Latharia said...

Are things still fine? :(